Do You Repent Your Foul Ways?

Miklos nodded with satisfaction, true, only he could see the auras but he was not one for secrets. “Maruc, Jolenta’s mace is enchanted, take it to ensure the servants of darkness are not armed with such. Her shield is magical too. Perhaps Feldard or Hasan or Stephan might employ it? Ah Stephan, I see your shield is already enchanter, no doubt a sacred family heirloom. Sligh’s shield is also magical, I doubt he would make much use of it now. He eye’d Ludo’s hand, but he dismissed mentioning the ring, after all he might have had it all the time and Miklos wasn’t about to be rude.

“What shall we do with Jolenta?” A vision of the interrogation of the Goblin Chief at Sukiskyn floated across his mind. He winced, and felt he must try give her the chance before things got nasty.

He lent toward her. “Listen my dear, you are cultured, I can see that. Cultured people avoid unpleasantness. Please believe me that I for one would not wish to be subject to the whims of Master Feldard. He can be awfully…ahh tense. I’d take this opportunity to reveal what you know freely and our paths may never cross again. Sadly if you chose the alternative…” he shivered, “I doubt taking paths will be an option. I really only am thinking of your best interests.”

Maruc snorted. “Miklos you are wasting your time. She will not talk. She is wise enough to realize she is a dead person. She lost her duel, her friends are dead. She knows we will not let her go to raise a force to follow us. Loosing Feldard on her will probably result in lies to fool us.” he locked his gaze with Jolenta. “Yes. I am no fool. Mighty Halav who is here, present in this world has greater more immediate power. You have failed your god, let us hope he is merciful. But from the little I know, your ‘hereafter’ won’t be that pleasant. May be I’m mistaken? Maybe Holy Pflarr is forgiving? I certainly hope so for your benefit.”

“Good bye Jolenta. I will not say farewell.” with that Maruc turned his back on her.

“Gentlemen we must rest for the night. I am exhausted and I need to heal you. Then I agree with Ludo, We must investigative Golthar’s Lair.

Maruc picked up the mace as he collected his things, surprisingly light, he thought. “Thank you for the gift, Jolenta this will serve the forces of good and righteousness from now on.”

“Why not,” shrugged Hasan, as he hoisted the priest’s shield. “Looks rather battered to me, Miklos. Could do with some greenwash to improve the color, too,” complained the elf, picking at the flecks of yellow and red that lay on a cold black enameled core. Still, the elf could see the use of such a thing. “I’ll need some work with this, Stephan.”

Ludo approaches Maruc and grabs his shoulder. “You cannot allow Feldard to kill this women in cold blood. Yes she is a vanished enemy, but she does not deserve a cold bloody execution. Maruc do not do this. Your soul will be tarnished. I suggest we tie her up, take her armour, weapons and holy symbol, and leave her only with rags. Everybody should have a chance of redemption. Let her see Halav’s mercy! Who knows, this mercy may turn her from the dark path she is travelling on. We will be long gone into the wilderness before she will make her way free and beyond the clutches of the Iron Ring.”

Feldard scowled. Of course the humans and elf would leave the dirty work to him. No one else seemed to have the stomach to kill when it wasn’t in immediate self-defense. Somehow Feldard had given his companions the impression that he was blood-thirsty and brutal – with goblins and orcs sure, but…

The dwarfs scowl deepened “So why did you bother keeping her alive in the first place? Just so I could kill her? Bah!” He’d best get this over with. He roughly forced the female into a kneeling position. This would be execution-style.

Stephan could see the grim nature of Feldard but couldn’t tell for sure that it was out of distaste for having to carry out the execution. He wondered, briefly, whether the dwarf would do it. It was odd, he thought, that the demi-human seemed to be the one designated for this task. To be sure, it was not in any of their natures to wantonly kill.

Stephan finished gathering his things. He was woefully low on arrows now and planned to purchase more in Threshold.

He turned, ready to knock and let fly an arrow into Jolenta’s heart if Feldard was somehow unable to carry out the deed.

Ludo’s words troubled Maruc. “No. You are right we must not slay in cold blood.” Maruc stayed Feldard s hand. “One moment friend.” he turned to address Jolenta. “Do you repent your foul ways? Do you seek the light? Will you turn away from the foul deeds for your past life and embrace the good?”

Ludo looked on in silence, he knew the answer this woman gave would mean whether she lived or died. He was shocked to see that she started to… smile?

Jolenta’s grin grew bigger and then she started to cackle. A cackle which grew into a maniacal laugh. The disturbing laughter continued until it was silenced by the fall of the dwarven axe.

Advertisements

12 Comments

Filed under D&D, Dungeons & Dragons, rpg

12 responses to “Do You Repent Your Foul Ways?

  1. Hasan got one of the shields +1, who is taking the other?

    8:32pm, Gromdain, the 7th of Felmont, 1001AC
    Partly cloudy, windy

    Maruc: 10xp+10xp
    Miklos: 10xp+10xp+10xp
    Feldard: 10xp+10xp
    Hasan: 10xp+10xp
    Stephan: 10xp+5xp
    Ludo: 10xp+10xp

    TOTAL:
    Maruc: 27,210/48000
    Miklos: 27,120/40000
    Feldard: 27,625/34000
    Hasan: 26,735/32000
    Stephan: 26,685/32000
    Ludo: 26,280/40,000

  2. Ludo

    Ludo sighed, “thank you Maruc – you gave her more of a chance at life than she would have given you or me. Thats in itself is worth Halavs blessing”. With that he exclaimed, “we can take the boat I borrowed back into Threshold under the cover of darkness – I can lead you to Golthars lair. If it is empty which I suspect it will be we could hold up there for the night and depart Theshold in the morning after we have searched it”.

  3. Stephan

    Stephan nodded at Ludo’s plan. He was happy to not fool with turning in their weapons. If the town guard gave them any trouble, he figured they could be convinced to look the other way. Regardless, he planned to cover up his bow and quiver when in town.

    He stood ready to follow Ludo’s lead back to the boat although he knew how to get there having seen the rogue make his approach earlier.

  4. Feldard, didn’t like the plan, not one bit but short of handing over his axe again there was little choice but that. “Let’s get this done then, ” he agreed wiping down this blade. “What should we do with these bodies? Leaving them here.. so close to town will no doubt be discovered quickly and rouse the town guard. And the clergy knew of our distrust of the mage so will be quicker to put two and two together.”
    He glanced to the river. “Weigh them down with rocks?”

  5. Maruc

    Maruc helped the dwarf sink the bodies, then he picked up Slighs shield. “Well if no one can make use of the this mage-wrought shield, I shall use it until someone else has need of it. I shall meditate in the boat.” He dumped his gear into the boat and covered the tell-tale gleam of armour with his travel cloak. He sat in an waited for the others to join him.

    When they had all climbed in he unshipped his oars and pulled a draught of water between them and the twilight shore back toward Threshold.

  6. miklosdostevar

    The mage eagerly climbed into the boat. The thought of getting hold of Golthar’s spell book swamped all thoughts of caution. He trusted Ludo’s expertise and the thought that he had fully armed friends around him bolstered his confidence. Especially that they were on their way to Golthars lair. Who knows what they might find there? Or Who?

  7. miklosdostevar

    DM: Miklos’s new spells

    Detect Magic, Sleep, Continual Darkness, Web, Lightning bolt.

    Miklos will cast Continual darkness on a stone when thy draw close to the city to cover their approach.

  8. Maruc

    DM: Maruc’s new spells

    Cure Light Wounds x2

    CLW immediately cast on Miklos
    CLW immediately cast on Stephan

  9. Ludo

    DM – Ludo will guide the group to Golthars lair, avoiding patrols of the city guard.

  10. Hasan

    Hasan felt uneasy as he followed his friends back into Threshold. The city stunk on pig and chicken kept in tight quarters. Or maybe that was his friends themselves. The elf longed for a dip in the warm springs the Elyan had found deep in Radlebb wood…
    It was rather a surprise when the hulking figure of Maruc pulled up in front of the day dreaming elf. Biff, the elf gasped, as he ran headlong into the cleric’s heavy chainmail.

  11. isn’t that platemail? – (ed)

  12. Ludo

    Ludo turned to Hasan and Maruc “ssshhh – you are making enough noise to wake the dead”!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s