Why Did the Fortune Teller Cross the Road?

Stephan felt his blood drain. “That devil has a look,” the woodsman was clearly undone. Then, slightly frantic, “We have to get out of this town.”

With no little amount of help from the lad, Feldard found himself perched similarly atop a several stacked crates, just to see overtop the crowd. When Golthar showed himself, the dwarf realized how wise a decision it was for the guards to take his crossbow from him. He searched for a means across the procession, but he’d more than likely be trampled attempting such.

Feldard tugged on the young lad’s sleeve to gain his attention. “That man in the yellow robe and the woman in the blue cloak. Do you know of them.. or where they might be staying?” He added as they disappeared into the crowd. He tried not to sound fierce in his questioning, he wasn’t trying to scare the lad.

“Nay, I have not sir Dwarf,” responded the Thyatian youth. “They look like they be the type to dwell on Fogor Isle, if I had ta guess.”

Hasan watched the brazen man somehow disappear into the crowd. The elf clenched his teeth, knowing that he and his companions were watched. With little to do, the elf watched the procession complete itself. Each minute lasted an hour, as the elf watched for Golthar and wondered how the party would escape his notice.

When the procession ended, the companions reunited. “We should leave this place,” Hasan said, “but I fear our time here is not done. We must track down this Golthar. He will let us come, as he needs us. Without arms, we must be wary. But we must put him off now, when we have some choice, rather than lead him to his goal. We cannot let this madman link with the Deathmage’s. Can we find this magic carpet salesman? It is our only clue.”

Ludo rushed back to the Inn and met up with Hasan and Stephan. “Did you see Golthar! He was spying on us during the parade. He in indeed either very sure of himself by having this town in his pocket or just does not care that we know he is here. The question is whom is tracking whom? Frankly I think we should depart and head north west. From the the lack of action by the town authorities there is no sense in staying here. Lets gather some supplies for the trip ahead, gather our weapons and depart while the day is still young. As much as I would like to see a magic carpet, I think we will not get much information from its owner”.

As the companions gathered at the Inn, Feldard watched the late breakfast crowd warily. He watched for Golthar, the woman in the blue cloak – Jolenta, or others they might have hired to keep tabs on them. He also watched for the return of the young lad – hopefully with news of Golthars whereabouts. “Would you two lower your voices?” Feldard muttered as serving wench stopped at their table to take their breakfast orders.

Suspecting that this might be his last Inn cooked meal for some time, Feldard ordered a large breakfast of eggs, ham, sausage and bread. After the woman left, Feldard looked to Ludo.

“I agree, once we have restocked we should continue on. No doubt we will be watched and followed though, so some manner of ruse will be needed to not give away our destination.” The dwarf to the rogue as if somehow expecting Ludo to have an answer to that problem.

Ludo sipped his ale and nodded in agreement with Feldard comments. “As for slipping out of Threshold without being seen, it would be best to leave at night, we collect our weapons at sunset and then head overland due east; back tracking to check for anyone following us. We let slip to the inn keeper that our business in Threshold is complete and that our plan is to head to Kelvin via Misha’s ferry. No doubt he will blab this information to the right ear that pays him enough. This may help to throw off our trackers. But this place is too dangerous to stay much longer, Golthar will be making his plans as well.

“Very well,” said Hasan. “Let us quit this city to head east by northwest.” The elf laughed, rose, and walked quickly to the bar. “East I say,” his companions heard him say. “Any goblins you speak of will feel a nip from my bow, I tell ye! Now give me a nip of you finest peach.” The elf raised the small glass to his lips, dashed it down, and smashed it against the iron-colored stone of the barman’s counter. “That’s for the Eastern goblins, I tell you,” said the elf, as he walked away, leaving a solitary electrum spinning behind. The whole bar heard the coin spin until it fell.

The group set about completing their business in Threshold, stocking up on supplies. Hasan took a detour to investigate Cardia’s Carpet Service. It proved to be a dead end as Cardia was away, apparently flying one of the Patriarch’s aides to Specularum. He joined the others in the market as they completed their purchases.

As they made their way back to the Inn, they spotted an aged Traladaran fortune teller crossing the street. At that moment, a runaway cart sped down the incline of the street directly towards her.

Advertisements

5 Comments

Filed under D&D, Dungeons & Dragons, rpg

5 responses to “Why Did the Fortune Teller Cross the Road?

  1. Hey everybody, let me know what purchases were made.

    2:30pm, Gromdain, the 7th of Felmont, 1001AC
    Partly cloudy, windy

    Maruc:
    Miklos:
    Feldard: 10xp
    Hasan: 10xp+10xp
    Stephan: 10xp
    Ludo: 10xp

    TOTAL:
    Maruc: 24,705/48000
    Miklos: 24,585/40000
    Feldard: 24,905/34000
    Hasan: 24,015/32000
    Stephan: 23,950/32000
    Ludo: 23,485/40,000

  2. Stephan

    Recognizing the arraignment of a fellow Traladaran–albeit one of the wandering folk engaged in questionable enterprise–Stephan lunged to keep the poor woman from being pummeled by the runaway cart.

    His feet were swift, and he veritably tackled the old woman in what he hoped was not too jarring an impact for her old bones. “Ahhhhaaie,” the scratchy voice of the woman pierced the air. “Kitne duuk ki bahaat te!,” she managed to screech as the woodsman made what seemed to be an attack upon her.

    The two, flew into a nearby pampoon cart landing, for the most part, on the juicy ripe fruit. The pinkish, yellow fluids from the pampoons erupted in a dying rain, coating Stephan and the woman, as well as a dismayed and quickly peeved cart vendor.

    The runaway cart continued it’s perilous run down the rough street.

  3. Ludo

    Ludo ran forward to help the old lady to her feet. “Good save Stephen – that was a close call, that cart would have flattened a dragon”. Turning to the fortune teller he asked her “are you all right”?

    DM – Ludo bought some extra supplies,

    Arrows – x2 dozen
    Flint
    50′ knotted rope with grapple
    Dried rations (1 week)
    Flask of oil, x2
    Water canteen x2
    x10 metal stakes and hammer
    Lantern
    x6 Throwing daggers and baldric to hold the daggers (if available)

  4. Feldard

    “Watch out!” the dwarf bellowed in warning but was too slow to do much stop the cart. He watched, impressed as Stephen saved the old woman and followed the carts travel down the incline, where it crashed into a building. Luckily, no one else was in danger. He glanced back up the street to see where the cart had come from as he headed to where his companions were grouping together to talk to the old Traladaran woman.

    (Feldard would have topped up his supply of crossbow bolts, purchased dried rations -1 week, 2 extra waterskins, and 50 ft of good silk rope)

  5. Stephan

    Stephan stocked up on five new arrows (expensive in this non-archery town!) to replace a few lost ones. He also bought two new water skins to replace his dilapidated set and a sizable bag of hard cheese, hard tack, nuts and dried fruit. He also bought a small vial of oil to keep his bow and other gear supple.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s