Forest Spies

Maruc almost walked into Hasan when he stopped and held up his hand for silence.

“What is it?” he asked. The tall elf waved him into silence. Sensing something was wrong, Maruc freed his chain flailed and eased his hand into the punch grip of his shield. He looped the shield strap over his head and motioned Miklos behind him.

Miklos darted over the Maruc. “What did he say?” he whispered urgently.

“Shh!” replied the big cleric.

“Golthar’s spies?” he insisted.

“Too soon for that I think. Now be silent,” the priest said through gritted teeth.

“Time for an ambush. Perhaps?” Miklos darted over to Ludo.

“Ludo. Golthar’s agents are on to us I think. Can you get a closer look?” he whispered.

Quickly nodding to Miklos in agreement, Ludo darted off the trail into the undergrowth. Using the pine forest and natural foliage as concealment, he backtracked, attempting to move in behind whoever was following them.

Stephan gathered what was going on and glanced about the woods. Sotto voce, “Let’s just keep moving. We know about them now and that’s better. We can watch for them to make a mistake and maybe capture our tail.”

“Let us break now,” said the elf, loudly. “Thank you for looking to take a first watch, Maruc, but we can be at peace here, so close to Sukiskyn.” The elf proceeded to sit down on the great trunk of a fallen ash, calmly extracting a ripe pear from his pocket. The elf bit into the pear, conveying the most disarming air of tranquility his companions had ever seen in him. In fact, as the elf carefully set is bow down beside him, it was clear, the elf didn’t quite mean what he said. “We can handle these watchers unseen the forest,” the elf muttered. “Not so once we reach the clearings beyond, when they have seen our direction. Let them come now, or we shall have to flush them out.” And Hasan finished his pear, all but a little juice that remained, glinting from his chin.

Feldard wasn’t good at deceptive talking, so for him, if they weren’t going to hunt their shadows down, it was best if he didn’t draw attention to himself. So without a word the dwarf moved to the base of a tree and settled his back against it, his axe at his side within easy reach. Snores issued after but 5 minutes.

Stephan shrugged. “Aye, It’s just nigh of midday. Good time for a break.”

He too settled next to a tree in a position that afforded a good view of much of the surrounding wood. He drank deeply from a flask then fished out some jerky he’d taken at the last minute from the Sukiskyn stores.

His scabbard was situated in a way that would allow him to quickly draw the blade.

Ludo was worried, where was the spy? He heard the sharp sound of a twig crack off to right about 30 feet away. Ludo paused in mid step, then gently placed his foot down and slowly crouched down. He recalled the teachings of his fathers gamekeeper, ‘no sudden movement – in a forest when hunting move slow and silently and keep down wind wherever possible’. He was using all his skills to sneak up on a foe that was in all likelihood expecting trouble and it felt like that every movement and every breath was giving his position away.

Anticipating that the spy was close, he drew his dagger from his belt and slowly moved to the right where he had heard the twig break.

Ludo had initially expected to see a lone follower, but soon heard others. From his hiding spot, he saw a group of nine men. Most were dressed in leather armor and carried short bows. They had the same half-crazed look as some of the other Iron Ring minions they had confronted. Two leaders at the rear were clad in chain mail, and carried shields and longswords. A few hundred yards back from the party, they were doing their best to stay quiet and concealed, but they had not been adept enough to avoid catching the interest of the elf, and now Ludo.

Advertisements

13 Comments

Filed under D&D, Dungeons & Dragons, rpg

13 responses to “Forest Spies

  1. 11:50am, Gromdain, the 26th of Thaumont, 1001AC
    Rainy, cool

    Maruc: 10xp+10xp
    Miklos: 10xp+10xp
    Feldard: 10xp+5xp
    Hasan: 10xp+10xp
    Stephan: 10xp+10xp
    Ludo: 10xp+10xp

    TOTAL:
    Maruc: 23,610/24000
    Miklos: 23,630/40000
    Feldard: 23,935/34000
    Hasan: 23,140/32000
    Stephan: 22,935/32000
    Ludo: 22,420/40,000

  2. Ludo

    Ludo frowned, this was a serious development. Already the Iron Ring was on their trail. He moved quietly back into the undergrowth trying to stay silent and hidden from the men who were watching his companions. As quickly as he could once he was away from their view and hearing he made his way back to where his companions waited. Miklos jumped when Ludo silently emerged from the undergrowth next to him. Ludo quickly relayed the situation to the party finishing of with a comment to Miklos. “Miklos I see no alternative but to attack them now while we have some advantage, we cannot leave any survivors”.

  3. miklosdostevar

    Miklos grinned. “Hah!” he caught himself before getting to loud. “You are right of course.” Miklos’s eyes grew bright.

    “Perfect! If they had seen you they would be charging us now, excellent work Ludo. They still think they have the advantage of surprise. We must not reveal their mistake to them.”

    “Quickly! Before they have chance to encircle us and set up a crossfire we must catch them whilst they are still grouped. They will approach Hasan and Feldard. Stefan you come with me and flank them to the left. Maruc, Ludo to the right. I shall attempt to ensourcal the main force with a sleep incantation then Stephan and myself will then attack to their flank. Feldard and Hasan charge from the front and Maruc and Ludo and surprise them from behind. This way we can stop them spreading out. I should be able the entrap the rest with further magic as necessary.”

    He looked at the bemused faces around him. “Yes, yes so I’ve been around Feldard too long! So what! Lets get on with it.” Miklos rushed to the undergrowth on the left flank bringing forth the first mental preparations for spellcasting.

  4. Maruc

    Maruc looked at Ludo and shrugged. “As good a plan as any. We really don’t have time for a war council.” Maruc grinned. “After you?” he loped off to the right following the lithe rogue.

  5. Feldard

    Feldard glared sourly at both Ludo and Miklos. Why was it humans always lumped him with the elf of the party? Was it just to torment him? It must be – why else would they put the woodland elf – one of the stealthiest of forest dwellers on a frontal charge? “Bah” was his response but the cleric was right, there was no time for a war council. He glanced to the elf and began a quiet count to 10, 10 times. Hopefully that would be long enough – the mage hadn’t really said how long to give them.
    The dwarf hefted his battle axe, nodded to the elf and backtracked their trail – ready for battle .

  6. Hasan

    “Bah is right, Feldard,” Hasan complained, as the humans crept laboriously and loudly away. “Let us hope these thugs have never entered the wood before. Nobody else would miss our companions.”

    “Still,” Hasan continued, as the dwarf reached the century mark, “it is more fun moving forward than moving back. Let’s see what these fellows have to say for themselves.” And the elf saw a hint of misplaced red flannel in the brush. “For the Radlebb!” he shouted, loosing an arrow at the Ringman beyond, and charging into the forest ahead.

  7. Ludo

    Ludo lead the way with Maruc close behind. They were going to have to move relatively quickly to flank their foes so Ludo did his best to balance stealth with speed to get into position before Hasan and Feldard entered combat. Keeping low and using the trees as cover he moved around to where he had last seen their foes waiting. Crouching behind a bush he peered through the foliage and saw the men scrambling for their weapons. Obviously they had heard or seen something. Out of the still forest air he heard Hasans war cry and Feldards bellow as they charged. Sensing Maruc was about to leap into the fray, Ludo held his shoulder and whispered “wait until they engaged, when we hit them it will create more panic”.

    DM – As soon as Feldard and Hasan are engaged, Ludo will move into combat, shooting with his bow and then engage with melee weapons when he has to.

    All/DM I am not sure but are we travelling with a large bunch of horses taking them to Rifillian?

  8. Stephan

    Stephan moved with Miklos off to the left as quietly as possible without moving too slowly. As they moved, he readied his bow.

    The mage and woodsman’s position was a good one affording them a slight elevation advantage. Stephan could feel his battle blood welling. Then he saw the Iron Ring. ‘Lousy warriors,’ he thought. But there was no time to consider his opponents. The battle had begun…

    He loosed two arrows before Miklos and he executed a flanking charge.

  9. Yes, you are taking a large group of horses to Rifllian. Sorry that was less than clear

  10. Maruc

    DM: Maruc will engage just after Ludo as he doesn’t wish to spoil any chances for Ludo the surprise them.

  11. miklosdostevar

    DM: Miklos will cast his 1st sleep spell into the central crowd of the Iron ring as they realised they are counter attacked and the second (if possible and appropriate if the opportuntiy presents itself and its of value to do so.

  12. Feldard

    (Place before Feldard’s post please)

    The dwarf’s ruse of sleeping fooled nobody and the group began making plans involving him.

  13. Hasan

    Hasan charged, the call of “Radlebb” echoing his oppenents tormented screams, as Vlaak’s great blade turned on the Ringmen. “You will not forget Hasan, Prince of the Radlebb, slavers!” called the elf, as he cut his way past a second man. The elf was crazed.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s