Creature of Death! Halav Will Vanquish You!

Ludo gasped as he felt the Hobgoblins claws pierce his arm. A numbing sensation rapidly spread through his body and he collapsed to the floor ‘paralyzed’. A feeling of panic enveloped him, these were no ordinary Hobgoblins! What sort of dark magic was this, he wondered. He desperately willed his arms and legs to function to get back up and out of danger, but it was to no avail.

Hasan groaned at the crashing blow and thanked the smith who long ago in the Radlebb created the metal skin from this unearthly foe’s deathblow. Feldard’s fierce assault gave the elf time to recover his balance. With another all-for-nothing swing, the hobgoblin’s sword sliced through the air, but the elf’s light sword raced out to give it a ringing mid-arc greeting. The hobgoblin and elf’s weapons flexed, then slowly squealed down until the two humanoids and swords poised, guard to guard, in midair.

Feldard pulled his axe free, while the elf gained his focus once more and locked swords with the hobgoblin. Feldard took advantage of the elf’s offered distraction to carve into the hobgoblin again. His axe might be a slower weapon in melee when compared to the elf’s light and flimsy sword but there was no comparing the sheer bite his axe had! The dwarf grinned as weariness was forgotten and only the battle existed.

Stephan felt a chill run down his spine upon seeing Ludo collapse at the merest scratch from hobgoblin. But the will of Halav drove the fighter to attack before the sickly pale creature could deliver more damage to the immobilized Ludo.

“Creature of Death! Halav will vanquish you!” Stephan fought — despite great weariness — to maneuver the unholy being away from the fallen rogue. The hobgoblin moved with unnatural speed lunging at Stephan again with only its claws. The thought of getting cut by the claws brought to the Traladaran some fighting moves he did not know he had. Taking what could be a theatrical leap such as done by the circus troupes of the Savage Coast, Stephan found himself airborne and twisting — sword slicing through the damp air — to impact the hobgoblin’s arm. Happily, the attack both avoided contact with the claw and resulted in a severed arm. The creature barely noticed the removal of its limb and continued an vicious attack. To his horror, Stephan saw the limb twitch and begin to scrape its way across the rocky floor to its “home” at back on the hobgoblin’s body.

The distraction was his mistake. Lunging, the hobgoblin struck hard against Stephan’s shield knocking him to the floor. Losing no time, the hobgoblin body tackled the fighter, apparently seeking to bite and claw him to death.

Meanwhile, the arm figured out how to flip itself to make better progress. With a final hurl, it flung itself onto the back of the host monster. The last thing Stephan saw was the open clawed hand emerging over the shoulder of his attacker just inches from his face.

Maruc’s eyes showed it plainer than the blood-drenched insignia on his halbert: the cleric’s connection to his godhead was strong. As he saw the great hobgoblin slaver over the young fighter, Maruc strode forward with fury. “Away from the chosen of Halav, beast!”

The priest’s flail hummed through the air and crashed with great purpose into the great hobgoblin’s hip. The impact spun the creature off Stephan, and it careened into the wall.

Miklos saw the opportunity immediately. Reaching into the recesses of his cavernous robe, the mage drew forward a tiny web, purchased in Specularum but from spiders who spin their webs in the farthest reaches of Ylaruam’s Alasiyan desert. The mage called up energy from the ground itself and gently tossing the web toward the prone figure, saw it expand midair from a rivulet to flood of sticky white fibers. The web enveloped the hobgoblin.

Feldard, Hasan and eventually Stephen finished the last hobgoblin without incident or one further word spoken.

Advertisements

12 Comments

Filed under D&D, Dungeons & Dragons, rpg

12 responses to “Creature of Death! Halav Will Vanquish You!

  1. Seriously fantastic posts guys. I didn’t even write anything this time!

    (To save time, consider the threat over. The goblins have been wiped out and Vlaak has flown the coup. You essentially have the run of the place).

    7:57pm, Soladain, the 17th of Thaumont, 1001AC
    Heavy clouds, windy

    Maruc: 10xp+1000xp
    Miklos: 10xp+1000xp
    Feldard: 10xp+10xp+1000xp
    Hasan: 10xp+10xp+1000xp
    Stephan: 10xp+10xp+1000xp
    Ludo: 10xp+10xp+1000xp

    TOTAL:
    Maruc: 21,685/24000
    Miklos: 21,760/40000
    Feldard: 21,875/34000
    Hasan: 20,955/32000
    Stephan: 20,800/32000
    Ludo: 20,350/20,000

    Ludo
    +1 Level
    +5 hp

  2. Feldard

    (Can I get summary of what is still alive and either held by Maruc’s pray or bound in Miklos’ web? – I seriously lost track in this battle)

    With the battle over and done with Feldard scoured the room – what he was looking for? – he had no clue. “Maruc you’d best interrogate this lot. I would be apt to kill them outright if they so much as sneer at me.”

  3. Stephan

    Stephan wearily treaded over to the paralyzed Ludo, sheathing his sword and setting aside his shield as he did. Kneeling, he repositioned the rogue to at least be more comfortable. It was clear the thief yet lived.

    “Nasty stuff, those hobs,” he spoke falteringly. He turned to look for Maruc who was already approaching to see what could be done for Ludo.

  4. Hasan

    (I think there are 3 still living – two ‘held’ and one in web.)

    (I’m also assuming Hasan knows like the elves described in rules compendium the languages of gnolls, orcs and hobgoblins. if DM wants to rule otherwise, given the long Elyan isolation, just holler and i’ll modify.)

    Hasan approached the hobgoblin ensnared in the web and spit out a few harsh words in the unforgiving tongue his grandfather had taught him long ago. “Your life hangs in the balance. What you say in the next few minutes will decide whether you live or fail. Where did Vlaak go with the prisoners? Where is Xitaqa?”

  5. Ludo

    Ludo slowly regained the feeling back in his body, He examined closely the captured Hobgoblins’, these were no ordinary Hobgoblins, of that he was sure. “Seems Vlak has left the building” he announced, “I wonder if he left any loot or clues as to where he went. Personally I believe we should stay the night here, rest a bit and then move on after him. After battling through an entire Goblin stockade I could do with a bit of a rest”.

    DM – Does Ludo find anything of value or of interest, he will also check the unexpored rooms in the stockade for traps/secret doors/treasure.

  6. Feldard

    Feldard nods at Ludo suggestion. “As much as the stink of goblin and hobgoblin revolts me.. I agree with you.”

    Feldard binds each of the held hobgoblins and drags them if necessary back to the prison area – releasing the old woman and chaining them up in her place.

    The dwarf then carefully leaves the compound in search of her tossed aside crossbow and their still trussed up and gagged goblin-guide. He brings the goblin back to the compound and chains him up with hobgoblins for Miklos or Maruc to interrogate at their leisure.

    The tired dwarf stands watch, yawning as the questioning continues.

    As the party settles in for the night, mostly likely using Vlaaks own room, Feldard takes first watch. Keeping awake is difficult, but to do any less might mean being caught unawares should any escaped goblins return.

  7. Feldard

    (Oops Feldard got a sex change! “her tossed aside” should be “his tossed aside”)

  8. Ludo

    (DM – forgot to mention) Ludo while exploring the compound further will scavenge for equipment including rope, lantern, oil flasks, and anything else that he thinks could be of use to him in his pursuit of Vlak. He will also replenish his arrow supply.

  9. Stephan

    Seeing Ludo revive with alacrity, Stephan stumped heavily around the complex, ensuring they would be secure for the night.

    Upon seeing the old woman, he spoke gently to her in his Traldarian accent. “I think it best you not leave till morning. We can find a comfortable a place for you to rest.” Proffering some meager rations, “Take this. And here is some spring water.

    The woman ate and drank but with a plodding sorrow. Stephan was overcome. The sight of the woman reminded him of his own mother. Perhaps it was the weariness of battle. Perhaps just the sad visage of the woman. Whatever the case, the big fighter now felt tears welling up. He wiped them quickly, looking around to be sure none of his companions noticed.

    Maternal compassion took over and the woman patted Stephan’s cheek — giving his arm a comforting squeeze. In a grating voice, “Halav will guide us. He brought me here more a purpose and I suspect you as well. Come, let us rest and shed this sorrow. Tomorrow well deal with practicalities.”

    Stephan assisted her with finding a secure and somewhat comfortable place to pass the night. Not requiring as much coddling, he eked out warrior-suitable bedding for himself at a respectful distance but close enough to allow him to protect her if necessary.

  10. Maruc

    Maruc glanced over questioningly at Feldard. “I fear you must question them yourself and hold your ire Master Dwarf. I cannot speak their tongue.” He returned his attention back to Ludo.
    Puss seeped from the claw mark but his colour was returning. “You’ll be fine in a few minutes. Miklos and I had a similar experience and Stephan’s place.”

  11. miklosdostevar

    Miklos swiftly agreed will the need to search the place and lent a hand. He was particular in his serch for wirttings, maps and scrolls such as might be out of place in a goblin lair.

  12. miklosdostevar

    as this is a fairly defensible position Miklso would like to rest and re-memorise his spells.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s