Who Goes There?

“Saeth I think it cruel to question these poor men before they have chance to rest and gather their thoughts, I was of a mind to secure their comfort afore interrogating them as to how they came here. I care not for the continuing the quest of these tunnels until these folk have had a chance to rest and told us their whole story. There may be some vital clue they they may recall after a rest or food. Travelling without all the facts may cost us dear.” Maruc looked at his arm, “Besides I’d rather dress this wound in the light. There are armed men down these tunnels that is clear. Charging around unnecessarily does not strike me as a wise decision. My vote would be to aid these poor men as we can. The men in these tunnels will not flee, I could tell that from the eyes of that guard.” Maruc indicated the corpse. “I of course am not the leader…” he left this hanging. “Now we are at least partially aware of what we face surely it would be sensible to face this threat fully armed with all that these folk can remember?”

“Err not wishing to be intrusive, but did anyone else hear that?” Miklos ventured. “It sounded perhaps like a slamming door?” Miklos started to feel nervous again and it didn’t help that the cleric seemed to be losing his temper. “We may not have any choice about our future actions if we argue here much longer.”

Miklos risked a sideways glance at the Dwarf who seemed to be on the verge of doing something or other. “The elf took the words out of my mouth, if these men are strong enough to wield a pick, they’re strong enough to seek the surface. Its not as if they’ve far to go…” Feldard grated. “I heard the clank and with or without Maruc, I intend to find out what it was. It could be more important than questioning those who know nothing.”

After the clank had echoed through the cave, Saeth , sword back in hand, struggled to tell if the sound was coming closer. Moving to the base of the ladder, she was just barely able to hear the sound of movement and some talking, but it wasn’t loud enough for her to make out what was being said. Although the sounds did not seem to be getting closer, there was no more time to make a decision, or bicker with the priest.

“Get them upstairs, at least. The Goodwife’s sitting room should be comfortable enough for them, especially if you get a fire going. Close the cellar door, lest it betray their location.” That should save them the time of going all the way back to the inn. The swordswoman looked at Feldard, ready to continue the fight. “The two of us will hold off here anyone who comes. If we are forced back… well, I doubt our mysterious burrowers will want to follow us onto the streets.”

“Miklos…” She had thought to order him to go back to safety, but wondered if his magic was more potent than he’d made it sound. “If you could stay back, but keep that invocation of yours ready?”

She turned towards the door, alongside the slightly shorter figure of the dwarf. She took up position just to one side, ready to strike anyone who came through.

Advertisements

19 Comments

Filed under Dungeons & Dragons

19 responses to “Who Goes There?

  1. Most of the above is just your comments. The relevent new info from the post is: “Moving to the base of the ladder, she was just barely able to hear the faint sound of movement and some talking, but it wasn’t loud enough for her to make out what was being said…the sounds did not seem to be getting closer…”

    So, to clarify. The clank was a single clank. Sounding maybe like a door or something heavy slamming. It wasn’t that loud, because it sounds like it’s not that close (maybe 30-50 feet or so, or around a corner). In regards to your questions of the slaves, they have only had time to answer that which I’ve posted so far.

    So, it seems that Feldard and Saeth wish to continue, as does Miklos. Maruc needs to decide if he wants to escort the men to the surface and rush back, escort the men and stay with them, or wait to take the men until after they see what is there.

  2. Saeth Tegau

    The elf turned back long enough to wave Miklos to keep the lantern down, then crept up the ladder, poking her head just over the edge. Her eyes struggled to pierce the darkness, to see the contours of the tunnel beyond, and her ears strained to discern the words of the speakers beyond.

  3. The passage continues for 8 feet or so, then turns sharply to the left. She can’t hear that much better than before.

  4. Maruc (Clr 1)

    Maruc sighed and turned to the men. “I am Maruc and I am a Priest. I will lead you to the surface. However, I must be swift as my friends may need me shortly so I will take you the Goodwifes kitchen. Follow me.” Maruc led the men back down the short passage and to the cellar. En route he continued, ” Is there anything else you can tell me?”

    -After their reply-

    “Do any of you know how to write? I ask this because if you can remember anything else of note; such as how and where you were captured, and any details, however insignificant you recall from you capture, you could write them down. I will pay you for this service, should you need money, because I wish to end the misery of any other work gangs that may suffer as you have. Ahh here we are.” Maruc shows them the ladder to the kitchen. “Warm yourselves by the fire in the kitchen above, if we do not return soon call the guard to investigate these tunnels. We may be captured and forced into labour as you had.” Maruc turned to go. “Farewell, good people, and try to remember all you can.” Maruc gave them two crona, “Bless you and immortals willing we shall see you soon.”

    Maruc swiftly made his way back to the cavern.

  5. Miklos (Mu 1)

    Miklos looked up from his search and watched Maruc lead the men away then turned round the Saeth he whispered. “What do you see Saeth? Is anyone coming nearer? I am unarmoured and light of foot, I could scout up ahead so see if anyone is coming?” Miklos didn’t really want to go but he needed to keep his mind occupied lest the tunnel terrors unmanned him again. Seath waved at him to lower the lantern and investigated the darkness ahead.

    – DM: Did the guards have any money and what armour or equipment did they carry?

  6. Saeth Tegau

    In hushed tones, Saeth replied to the youth. “It’s a short tunnel, before a curve. I don’t believe anyone’s coming, but I do wonder what that sound means for us.

    She hated to send Miklos forward, with his youth and inexperience. But it would not do to discourage him, not at this point. “Perhaps, if you felt up to it, you could investigate the right-hand passageway we came to?” She pointed back towards the tunnel they’d come through. That’s down on the map… “I don’t know what’s there, and it’s unnerving me not knowing. The two of us can guard this entryway until Maruc returns.”

    The swordswoman crossed the chamber, leaving Feldard at the base of the ladder. She could back up the dwarf from here, but would be able to assist Miklos more quickly if her judgement of the right-hand passage proved wrong.

  7. To Maruc – The men have little to offer in the way of information. They’ve been working in the dark tunnels for months. They don’t know why they’ve been digging or the total number of men, because they all wear hoods. They’d estimate around a dozen men in total. They are extremely grateful to the group and can hardly believe that they are finally free. Until they get to the surface they are very scared. They’ve all been abducted at night when they wandered the streets after a night of drinking. They haven’t met each other prior to being captured.

  8. The guards had some silver pieces and wear chain mail. They are all dressed similarly with purple hoods.

  9. Is Miklos going to follow Maruc then and look down the other passageway? Are you taking any other actions while Maruc is escorting the tunnel diggers?

  10. Mikos (Mu 1)

    Miklos nods and follows the diggers down toward the fork in the tunnel. Allowing them enough light to see their way to the cellar he again covers the lantern allowing only a minimum of light to see by he sneaks as quietly as possible to the bend on the other tunnel. If he is sure he will be undetected he will shine the lantern for a brief period down the tunnel.

    When he has gleaned as much information of the tunnel without proceeding too far away from the others he will return. certainly he will return as he hears Maruc return back down toward the cavern.

  11. Miklos peers into the other tunnel. Shining the light down, he sees about 30 feet down into it. It gradually bends to the right. There is a side tunnel on the left side of the passage about 10 feet into the tunnel.

    [I’ll post a map in the next DM entry – Do you explore further or head back to Saeth & Feldard?]

  12. Miklos (Mu 1)

    It depends how much time I have – I don’t want to be too far wawy from the main group. By the state of the ground is the tunnel well used?

  13. It appears as well used as anywhere else. You have a couple minutes to work with.

  14. Miklos (Mu 1)

    I will spend a minute investigating further into the tunnel and listening then I will return.

  15. As the Halavist emerges behind the three captives from below Nicolai steps from the shadows and places his sword on the priests shoulder.

    “Now, this is your lucky day. If I’d have been with whoever you were fighting down there, I would probably have taken your head off as it came through that trapdoor.

    “From the looks of these men with you, I’d say they had been enslaved down there, so I’m going to give you the benefit of the doubt, as I’m not too keen on slavers and their ilk.

    “So, will you tell me what has been going on? If I noticed you coming in here, then I’m pretty sure others did as well. I feel that more of us, rather than less of you would do a far better job. Don’t you?”

    Nicolai’s sword is gently resting on the priest’s shoulder. The blade is not quite touching his neck, but it wouldn’t take much effort.

  16. Sorry, meant to say turns back to the other cavern. Not paying attention to all the comments.

    @DM: How would this be resolved if such an inconsistency was not spotted by the players?

  17. Maruc (Clr 1)

    Maruc froze. For the first time in his life he knew real fear.

    “Now, this is your lucky day. If I’d have been with whoever you were fighting down there, I would probably have taken your head off as it came through that trapdoor.” the stranger entoned.

    “Who are you and want do you want? Stranger.” Maruc tried to keep his voice level.

    “From the looks of these men with you, I’d say they had been enslaved down there, so I’m going to give you the benefit of the doubt, as I’m not too keen on slavers and their ilk.”

    “Nor me, I am no threat to you please raise your weapon.” the ridgidity was starting to ache and Marucs’ forearm throbbed, he tried to concentrate on keeping balence on the ladder. Well if this guy wanted to kill him he’d have done so already, maybe this guy is paranoid, he thought.

    “So, will you tell me what has been going on? If I noticed you coming in here, then I’m pretty sure others did as well. I feel that more of us, rather than less of you would do a far better job. Don’t you?”

    “It depends on who you can trust don’t you think? I am Maruc, a commoners priest. What is your name and why are you interested in our party and our actions?”

  18. “How would this be resolved if such an inconsistency was not spotted by the players?”

    I don’t think I understand the inconsistency you are referring to.

    Sometimes players will post something that causes someone else to revise their action. That’s fine. I don’t consider the comments written in stone until they get integrated into the main blog. And even then I’m willing to revise if it makes sense.

  19. A Distant Clank:
    Saeth: 10xp
    Maruc: 10xp + 10xp 1st Post
    Miklos: 10xp +5xp 2nd Post
    Nicolai: 10xp DM choice (for being patient)

    TOTAL:
    Saeth: 350/4000
    Maruc: 325/1500
    Miklos: 270/2500
    Nicolai: 170/1200

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s